At Home with 2nd Story Goods
It's hard to believe we've been living the majority of our lives from home for an entire year! Since we’ve been in the comfort of our own homes a lot more than usual this year, we’ve made an effort to make our spaces more beautiful, comfortable, and functional. The following list is just a few of our favorite products that have sparked joy in our lives while stuck at home this past year.
1. If you're working on livening up your space this spring, make sure to grab one of our Braided Cotton Rugs. Each one is unique, and upcycled from fabrics that we purchase from local vendors in Haiti. The vibrant colors are sure to brighten up your day!
2. You can also get a “rug for your pots” and grab the miniature version in our Cotton Braided Trivets in the 7 or 12 inch size. After all, one of the beautiful things that has come from all this time at home has been more homemade meals!
3. Want another colorful piece in your home to create a cohesive room? Look no further than our MOSO Throw Blanket. They too are made from upcycled fabrics, bringing new life to your home. Plus, we’ve added batting so they are extra cozy and warm!
4. While you’re spending more time in the kitchen, our Aluminum Magnets will spark brilliant ideas or kind words! Plus, we love that they're made from 90% recycled and local materials.
5. Spruce up your wall decor with a reminder of one of the biggest things we’ve learned over the past year. The Tree of Life Metal Art means that you are not an island, but are deeply connected to the world around you and dependent on it for your ability to grow and thrive.
6. If you’re looking for something to do in your free time without having to get out of the house, make sure to pick out one of our Saddleback Journals. Picking up a new hobby like bullet journaling or doodling once a day is so much easier when you have a durable, beautifully-made product by your side. We have tons of different sizes for all your needs, and we are proud of the exceptional craftsmanship that our artisans put into each one.
7. Another great hobby to focus on while at home is learning new things. If you love to read or are trying to read more, we highly recommend From Aid to Trade. Written by our friend Daniel Jean Louis and Jaqueline Klamer, this book dissects the current issues with foreign aid, disaster relief, and donations to developing countries. The authors’ research and personal experiences offer a variety of solutions to alleviate poverty in a long-term, sustainable way through entrepreneurship and economic growth. The principles of this incredible book are what our company is founded upon, and we cannot recommend it enough!8. Another amazing book to check out if you’re hungry to learn is Haiti: the Tumultuous History by Phillipe Girard. This book tells the story of the beautiful country, from its beginnings as a French colony up until the 2010 earthquake, offering an opinion on how Haiti should grow and rebuild for the future.